1. Criteria for Approving Banners to be Hung
A. Organizations must primarily serve or benefit Haddonfield residents and/or organizations.
B. Must be for EVENTS in Haddonfield; NOT for information, issues or events that are political in nature.
C. Events that provide for Health and Welfare (i.e. Blood Bank) are given priority over other events.
2. New Banner Requests – The Borough Clerk must receive, at least two months prior to the scheduled banner hanging date, a letter from the organization stating who they are, what the banner is for and a “proof/artwork” from the company making the banner of the exact layout and wording proposed. This must be presented to the Commissioners for their approval. Preference is always given to a borough based organization should there be a date conflict. A regional event banner for public benefit may be granted if there is no local organization utilizing that time period, but that organization’s banner could be “bumped” with two weeks notice should a local organization put in a request.
3. Use of Sponsor’s names on a banner – The focus of a banner is to bring attention to a specific event, not to advertise a company. Sponsors will be allowed on the banner, the total area utilized for such cannot exceed 10% of the total area (20’W x 3’H = 60 sq. ft. x 10% = 6 sq. ft.).
4. Banners must be updated annually for correct information – All information on the banner, if being used again, must be updated if dates are required. All information on the banner must be correct. If the banner refers to a specific observance; i.e. Memorial Day, do not include “this weekend” on the banner, as the banner may not be hung during the previous week.
5. Renewals Scheduled from Year to Year – All organizations whose banners have been approved in prior years must submit a “renewal” request for the current year at least 30 days in advance of the requested date. Banner requests will be considered “unconfirmed” if they were hung at that time the previous year, but the current year’s renewal request has not yet been made. Should a conflict occur due to a change in dates and there are two unconfirmed banners already shown for that date, the Borough Clerk will contact the two organizations which have unconfirmed banners to see if their dates or requirements have changed so a different organization’s banner can be accommodated. The unconfirmed banners have preference for that date.
6. Confirmations – A confirmation letter will be mailed to the organization’s representative confirming the scheduled banner, at which time a new banner schedule is printed for Public Works. Until the letter is issued, the time is not formally scheduled.
7. Time and Manner of Hanging of Banners A. Time – Each organization will have priority for one week each year. Additional weeks may be permitted if there is no other conflict. Occasionally the Borough Clerk will ask an organization which has been scheduled in the past to have a banner hung for more than one week to give up one or more weeks if an authorized organization makes a request for one of those weeks. This is done very rarely, but is an option to be used at the Borough’s discretion. B. Manner – Banners may be hung back-to-back with another banner at the Borough’s discretion, for a maximum of two (2) banners at any one time.
8. Delivery Before Hanging and Pick up After Hanging – All banners must be delivered to the Public Works facility (555 Centre Street) by at least the day prior to the scheduled hanging, but no sooner than one week prior. Any organization delivering a banner for their scheduled week AFTER banners have already been changed (always done by 7:30 a.m. on Mondays) will be charged a fee of $50. All banners MUST be picked up from Public Works once they have been taken down. Having a large quantity of banners left at Public Works contributes to problems with getting the correct banner hung each week. This is stressed to each organization when a request is made and is re-affirmed in their confirmation letter, as well as when banners are dropped off at Public Works.
REMEMBER - THIS IS A FREE SERVICE PROVIDED BY THE BOROUGH. THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT A BANNER WILL BE HUNG AND THE BOROUGH IS NOT RESPONSIBLE FOR BANNERS LEFT AT PUBLIC WORKS AFTER THE DATE OF REMOVAL.