Shade Tree Commission
The Haddonfield Shade Tree Commission (“STC”) is a fully empowered commission per NJSA 40:64-1 that is composed of a seven-member, Mayoral-appointed group of resident volunteers (five voting members and two alternate members).
Current STC members are:
- Scott McElhone, Chairperson
- Ann R. Koelling
- Deborah Troiani
- Jane Elkis Berkowitz
- Ralph Ciallella
- William Polise, Alternate I
- Allison Pescatore Tenny, Alternate II
- Frank Troy, Commissioner of Public Works, Parks, and Public Buildings
This Mission of the STC is to cost-effectively develop, maintain, and promote a sustainable and productive urban forest within the Borough of Haddonfield that benefits the physical, economic, environmental, and social well-being of the community. While the specific goals of this Mission can be located in the current Community Forestry Management Plan, examples of the STC’s success in this capacity can be evidenced through consistently achieving the Arbor Day Foundation’s Tree City USA award (nearing 30 consecutive years), robust tree planting and removal programs, strong tree protection procedures, comprehensive grant application processes to secure supplemental funding for tree-related activities, and a very engaged resident base.
Find us on Facebook (@HaddonfieldSTC) and contact us anytime at email@example.com.
The STC meets on the third Tuesday of each month at 8:00 a.m. in Borough Hall Room 102 (subject to change based on space availability; check the Agenda’s posted on the Borough website).
For exact dates please refer to the Borough’s Events Calendar.
Please note, however, that the STC has recess during July and August (no regular meetings are held).
The STC is empowered by Borough Ordinance (Chapter 56 – Shade Tree Commission) and has full and exclusive control over the regulation, planting and care of Borough trees located on Borough property. For the full listing of permitted acts, prohibited acts, and fees/penalties please refer to Chapter 56 via the hyperlink above.
BOROUGH TREE POLICIES
- FAQs on Borough Tree Policies
- Summary of the New Shade Tree Ordinance (2014-12), passed July 15, 2014 (PDF)
- Fees, Penalties and Replacement Assessment Schedule Fees, Penalties and Replacement Assessment Schedule (PDF)
- Haddonfield Community Forestry Management Plan (CFMP), 2017-2021 (PDF)
- Haddonfield Borough Tree Planting Species List (PDF)
SHADE TREES AND CONSTRUCTION
- FAQs on Shade Trees and Construction
- Policy for Construction Fencing to Protect Borough-owned Trees (PDF)
- How to Identify and Measure a Borough Tree (PDF)
- Inventory of Borough Street Trees as of June 2022 (PDF)
- Sidewalks and Trees (PDF)
- Avoiding Tree Damage during Construction (PDF)
- Treatment of Trees Damaged by Construction (PDF)
- Shade Tree Commission Meeting Tree Protection Form (PDF)
SHADE TREE PROGRAMS
- Haddonfield Branch Managers, active tree care volunteers and residents (PDF)
- Commemorative Tree Donation Program
- Shade Tree Approved Resident Tree Program (START)
[ Back to Top ]
GUIDES TO TREE CARE
- How to Plant a New Tree (PDF)
- Quick Guide on How to Plant a Tree
- Mulching Trees and Shrubs (PDF)
- Six Ways to Keep Your Newly Planted Tree Alive and Healthy(PDF)
- Demonstration Video - Planting Container Trees in Yard Settings
- English Ivy Removal
- Bacterial Leaf Scorch in Pin Oaks and Red Oaks
- Guide to Ash Tree Identification and Evaluation
- Pruning Mature Trees
- Why Topping Hurts Trees
- Spotted Lanternfly Fact Sheet
[ Back to Top ]
SHADE TREE NEWS
Looking for a family activity? Take the Haddonfield Tree Tour
- Shade Tree Commission Walking Tour Brochure Shade Tree Commission Walking Tour Brochure (Printable PDF)
- Shade Tree Commission Town Tree Tour
- (Audio version)
- Town Tree Tour Map (Printable PDF)
[ Back to Top ]